CHOCOLATE STOUT CAKE
Created by Sarah Tibbetts
Valrhona Pastry Chef, Central Region
Calculated for (1) 10-12 cup bundt pan
Category: Cakes and Tarts
1 ¾ cup flour
1 cup Cocoa Powder
¾ tsp baking powder
⅓ tsp baking soda
⅓ tsp salt
1 cup + 1 tbsp butter, soft
2 cups + 2 tbsp. sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp dark beer or stout
3 each eggs, room temp*
1 each egg yolk
1 cup sour cream
*Chef’s note: Room temperature ingredients ensure a more homogenous batter. When using hard butter and cold eggs, the batter can appear broken and separated.
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbsp + 1 tsp dark beer or stout
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift the ingredients and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar, until it is light in color. Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl before adding more, followed by the beer and vanilla extract.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the sour cream until fully incorporated. Pour batter into a greased Bundt cake pan. Bake at 176ºC (350ºF) for 50-55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack.
- Cake should immediately release- if not, let stand another 5 minutes with pan still on inverted cake then remove.
- Combine the powdered sugar and beer. Mix well with a whisk and pour onto the cooled cake.