Vegan Chocolate Hand Pies
Category: Cakes and Tart
Serves: 4 large hand pies
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 15 minutes
Chocolate Hand Pies:
- 2 cups (250 g) flour or gluten free 1:1 baking flour
- 1/3 cup (30 g) Valrhona cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp (180 g) vegan butter, cubed + frozen
- 2 tbsp dairy free yogurt or vegan sour cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3–4 tbsp cold water
- ½ cup Valrhona Guanaja 70% chocolate feves
Chocolate Hand Pies:
- ¼ cup (60 mL) soy milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Combine the butter and flour: Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt to a food processor, along with the cubed frozen vegan butter. Then pulse the mixture until it resembles an almost sand texture. If making by hand, you can still have a few larger chunks of butter present, but not too many.
- Add in the yogurt: Then add in the dairy free yogurt, and pulse again JUST until mixed (about 5-7 seconds).
- Finish the gluten free pie dough: Next, add in the maple syrup, followed by 1 tbsp of cold water at a time, while the food processor is pulsing (safely remove the pusher from the feed tube on the lid to do this). Continue to add water until a thick and slightly tacky but consistent dough forms.
- Chill: Press the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper, and form it into a disk. Wrap it tightly and store in the fridge for 45 minutes to 1 hour (see notes below for make-ahead option).
- Laminate: When ready to use the dough, generously dust a clean surface with cocoa powder. Place the dough into the middle, and begin to laminate the dough. Roll the dough to be about 10 inches long as a rectangle, then fold it in half. Rotate the dough to the right, and roll it again to repeat that process. Repeat this process two more times for a total of 4 laminations.
- Shape the pie dough: Now roll out the dough to be 16 inches by 12 inches. Slice the dough into two 6x16” halves. Then divide each half into four equal sections to yield eight 4x6” rectangles.
- Fill: Place 2-3 pieces of Amatika chocolate into the middle of four of the pie dough rectangles. Then place the unfilled hand pie dough rectangle on top, and press the edges into the bottom piece of dough. Use a fork to crimp the edges, and slice an “x” on top of the hand pies. Place the parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
- Brush: Mix together the soy milk and maple syrup for the vegan egg wash, and brush the tops of each hand pie, followed by a sprinkling of granulated sugar. Place the hand pies into the freezer to chill while you preheat the oven to 400F.
- Bake: Once preheated, bake the hand pies for 15-17 minutes, or until the top of the pastry crust is set and flaky.
- Serve and enjoy! Serve the hand pies warm and enjoy!
Validate your login
Or Sign In With
Create New Account